Sterling silver is an alloy of silver that contains 92.5% pure silver and is one of the most popular silver mixes used in jewelry. The remaining 7.5% of sterling silver alloy is made up of usually one other metal such as copper, germanium, zinc or platinum and these serve the primary purpose of hardening the silver.

Pure silver itself is not used in jewelry as it is too soft and not ‘workable’. Sterling silver jewelry should be marked with a stamp ’925′ or possibly ‘ster’ to indicate its purity. Use this online calculator to instantly calculate how much sterling silver is worth right now at today’s spot price.

‘How Much is Sterling Silver Worth’ Calculator

Bullion Silver
Purity Millesimal Fineness Help
Quantity Grams Troy Ounces Help
Price $ Enter Value On Right ==>
Your Silver Is Worth $ Convert Currency

More ‘How Much is Sterling Silver Worth’ Calculators

For common weights of Sterling silver, the following calculators may be useful:

or click here to return to the main ‘How Much is Silver Worth’ calculator.

Sterling Silver

Whereas copper is most often the secondary metal used in the alloy as it is readily available, it has a tendency to tarnish which means that the silver can discolor and darken over the years.

Alloys with the other metals have demonstrated a better resistance to this tarnishing and staining and indeed research into sterling silver alloys is still in progress.

For example, recent improvements include rhodium-plating which confers upon 925 sterling silver jewelry a high level of tarnish and scratch resistance. Such items are known as ‘platinum enhanced sterling silver’.

British sterling pieces bear hallmarks, symbols and letters indicating maker place of origin, and year of manufacture, as well as the sterling mark, a standing lion (Lion Passant).

Related Links

How Much is 925 Silver Worth
How Much is Sterling Silver Flatware Worth

Related Searches

how much is sterling silver worth today
how much is sterling silver worth nowadays
is sterling silver worth anything
is silver flatware worth anything
how much is silver flatware worth
how much is sterling silver flatware worth